Ear Surgery Miami
Ear Surgery is a surgical procedure used to alter the appearance of protruding ears. This procedure is most commonly performed on small children who fall victim to name calling. This type of cruelty from other children can negatively affect a child’s self image. Adults may also benefit from this procedure, giving them more freedom with hairstyles and improving self esteem. However, when considering otoplasty, the earlier the better because softer cartilage is easier to mold; and because, the child will grow up without the self consciousness.
Good Candidates For Otoplasty
- The cartilage in the ear must be fully developed, usually around age five to six.
- You are self conscious about the size and/or shape of your ears.
- Your ears are not symmetrical.
- You are in good health.
- You have realistic expectations.
- You have your child’s best interest at heart.
Your Otoplasty Consultation
During your initial consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and staff. Your previous surgeres, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Photographs may be taken for your medical record. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and whether or not additional procedures will be necessary for you to achieve your desired results. Recovery time, risks and limitations associated with surgery will be also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review surgical costs and scheduling with you.
About Otoplasty Surgery
- Anesthesia is required. Your surgeon will decide what type of anesthesia.
- An incision is made just behind the ear, where the ear meets the head.
- Any extra skin and/or cartilage is removed.
- The surgeon will sculpt the cartilage to its desired shape.
- Stitches are used to “pin back” or secure the ears into place.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery® and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
Otoplasty: Ear Plastic Surgery
There are many common problems that warrant the consideration of otoplasty, ear plastic surgery. Most commonly, this surgery is performed on children, but adults that have been plagued with otological dissatisfaction their whole lives or those who experience an accident or injury to this area also have the procedure done.
For this type of plastic surgery, Miami parents turn to the expertise of Miami Plastic Surgery®. When your child is being teased about ears that stick out, have a certain shape, or are unbalanced, it can become a very stressful situation. When it bothers your child to the point of impacting their self esteem, it may be time to consider ear plastic surgery.
Otoplasty is commonly performed when:
- The child is old enough that the cartilage is fully formed-around five or six
- The parents and child understand the procedure and its risks
- The parents have the best interests of the child at heart
- The health of the patient is good
- The expectations for the outcome are clearly set and realistic
The caring professionals at Miami Plastic Surgery® can help parents and patients determine if surgery is the right option for them and they will walk you through the details of the procedure and recovery process
You want the best for any procedure in plastic surgery. Miami Plastic Surgery is a nationally recognized provider of these services and is known for quality, commitment to safety, and superior results. They are the provider of surgical procedures for a number of prestigious clients and are featured on the TLC network.
Browse our site to learn more about a specific procedure, such as otoplasty, or simply to find out more about our practice. Please give us a call to discuss your particular situation. We are more than happy to show you what we can do and to go over the details of paying for procedures, risk factors, recovery details, and much more.
South Florida Plastic Surgery
Miami Laser Hair Removal