PRP Treatment for Hair Loss in Miami, South Miami & Coral Gables, FL
What is PRP therapy?
PRP therapy, which stands for platelet-rich plasma therapy, is a non-surgical, minimally invasive form of treatment that uses the patient’s own blood to create platelet-rich plasma. Platelet-rich plasma, as the name suggests, is plasma that has a high concentration of platelets. Platelets are found in the blood and help control bleeding through clot formation. Along with this, platelets also play an important role in the healing process when injury occurs. Because of its unique healing properties, platelet-rich plasma therapy has been used to treat a variety of conditions, including hair loss.
The platelet-rich plasma (PRP) therapy procedure for hair loss involves obtaining the patient’s blood sample, which is then processed and injected into affected areas of the scalp. Once injected, the platelet-rich plasma is believed to combat hair loss and stimulate maintained natural hair growth by improving blood supply to hair follicles and enhancing the width of the hair shaft. PRP injections can be used for treatment of women’s hair loss as well as men’s hair loss and may be used in conjunction with additional hair loss treatments to provide optimal results.
Why is PRP treatment therapy used?
Platelet-rich plasma therapy is used across various fields as a healing agent. At Miami Plastic Surgery we specialize in the use of PRP therapy to provide patients with a solution for both the prevention and treatment of hair loss.
What does PRP therapy involve?
- Treatment with PRP therapy is performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office as an outpatient procedure and involves your doctor gently injecting the platelet-rich solution into needed injection sites of the scalp. The entire process involves three parts.
- In order to create the PRP solution, your own blood will be utilized. This part of the process will involve your doctor gently drawing a sample of blood from your arm or other areas of the body. The amount of blood drawn will depend on your unique treatment needs.
- Once the blood has been drawn, your doctor will place the blood sample into a device known as a centrifuge. This device will spin at an accelerated rate for about ten minutes, sifting your blood into three layers: red blood cells, platelet-poor plasma, and, most importantly, platelet-rich plasma.
- Your doctor will then gently draw the layer of platelet-rich plasma and carefully inject it into treatment areas of the scalp. To help minimize pain or discomfort, numbing agents may be administered to treatment areas.
- Treatment time will vary depending on the degree of hair loss.
- After the procedure, most patients are able to return to their normal daily activities immediately.
- For visible maintained results, routine visits may be required once a month for the initial four to six months of treatment. If this regimen is followed, results can be seen in as little as two to three months.
Am I an appropriate candidate for PRP therapy?
You may be an appropriate candidate for PRP therapy if:
- You have signs of hair loss
- You want to prevent future hair loss
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have realistic expectations
What can I expect during a PRP hair loss consultation?
During your initial PRP treatment consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and their team. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and what will help to achieve your desired results. PRP hair loss therapy cost, benefits, recovery time, risks, and limitations will also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review treatment scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
What are the benefits of PRP therapy?
If you are suffering from hair loss or would like to prevent hair loss from occurring, PRP therapy may be an appropriate treatment option for you. Benefits of PRP therapy for hair loss may include:
- Increased blood flow to hair follicles
- Stimulation of hair growth
- Improved self-confidence and appearance
If you are considering platelet-rich therapy for hair loss in Miami, FL with the board-certified plastic surgeons at Miami Plastic Surgery®, call 305.595.2969 or fill out the form on this page to book a consultation.