Breast Reconstruction Miami
Breast reconstruction is a cosmetic surgical procedure performed on women to rebuild the breast’s shape after undergoing a mastectomy. Reconstruction of a breast that has been removed due to cancer or other disease is one of the most rewarding surgical procedures available today. New medical techniques and devices have made it possible for surgeons to create a breast that can come close in form and appearing to matching a natural breast. Frequently, reconstruction is possible immediately following breast removal (mastectomy), so the patient wakes up with a breast mound already in place, having been spared the experience of seeing herself with no breast at all. But bear in mind, post-mastectomy breast reconstruction is not a simple procedure. There are often many options to consider as you and your doctor explore what’s best for you.
For more questions about having a breast reconstruction in Miami FL with Miami Plastic Surgery call today.
About Breast Reconstruction
Breast Reconstruction can be done at the time of your mastectomy or at any time period after your mastectomy and treatment. There are many methods to breast reconstruction dependent on your needs, desires, and body type.
- Autologous Reconstruction (From your own body)
- TRAM (Transverse Rectus Abdominal Muscle Flap)
- This reconstruction method uses the abdominal tissue to reconstruct the breast. It is similar to an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) except that the tissue that is normally discarded can be used for the breast reconstruction. The benefit of this reconstruction method is that no implant is needed and the patient often has the benefit of removing unwanted abdominal skin and fat.
- DIEP (Deep Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flap)
- Is similar to the above TRAM reconstruction except that only skin and fat are taken from the abdomen. No muscle is taken from the abdomen.
- SIEP (Superficial Inferior Epigastric Perforator Flap)
- Is similar to the above TRAM reconstruction except that only skin and fat are taken from the abdomen. No muscle is taken from the abdomen
- Latissimus Muscle Flap
- This reconstruction uses natural tissue from the back area to reconstruct the breast. An implant may or may not be used dependent on the desired size of the breast after reconstruction.
- Tissue Expander and Implant Reconstruction
- tissue expander (inflatable breast implant) is placed and your surgeon can use this to achieve the desired shape of your breast
- Once you have reached your desired shape with a tissue expander the expander will be replaced with a breast implant (the same implants that are used in breast augmentation).
- Some patients also benefit from the use of Alloderm, which can help shape the breast and decrease the time needed to expand the breast to the desired shape.
- Fat Grafting
- Is another tool that can be used to help shape the reconstructed breast. It can be used after flap or implant reconstruction for more natural and soft shape of the breast.
Good Candidates For Breast Reconstruction
Most mastectomy patients are medically appropriate for reconstruction, many at the same time that the breast is removed. The best candidates however are women whose cancer, as far as can be determined, seems to be eliminated by mastectomy.
Your Breast Reconstruction Consultation
During your initial consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and staff. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Photographs may be taken for your medical record. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and whether or not additional procedures will be necessary for you to achieve your desired results. Recovery time, risks and limitations associated with surgery will be also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review surgical costs and scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery® and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation. For more information about having breast reconstruction in Miami FL contact Miami Plastic Surgery® today.
Click for information regarding Breast Reduction Surgery
Click for information regarding Breast Augmentation Surgery
Click for information regarding Breast Lift Surgery