Laser Treatment for Rosacea in Miami, FL
What Is Rosacea?
Rosacea is a skin condition that causes redness of the face, primarily on the nose and cheeks. Along with redness of the skin, blood vessels may present themselves at the surface of the skin. Some patients may also experience bumps on the skin that are similar in appearance to acne and filled with pus.
What Causes Rosacea?
While the exact cause of rosacea is unknown, there are certain triggers that may cause more blood to travel to the skin’s surface, causing the skin to flare up. Rosacea triggers may include:
- Certain foods, especially hot beverages or spicy foods
- Alcohol consumption
- Extreme hot or cold temperatures
- Certain emotions, e.g. anger, excitement
- Physical activity or workouts
- Certain cosmetic products
- Certain drugs or medications that dilate blood vessels
What Are the Symptoms of Rosacea?
Symptoms of rosacea can range from mild to severe and can affect almost any area of the face, including the nose, forehead, ears, and chin. In some cases symptoms may spread beyond the face, covering areas such as the chest or back. Symptoms of rosacea may include:
- Redness of the face, usually in central areas, such as the nose and cheeks
- Tiny blood vessels appearing at the surface of the skin
- Pimples or small bumps at the surface of the skin with a similar appearance to acne
- Redness, swelling, or irritation of the eyes or eyelids (ocular rosacea)
- Large-appearing nose due to thickening of the skin
How Is Rosacea Treated?
While there is no cure for rosacea, there are available treatment options to help manage symptoms, including natural remedies, creams, medications, and antibiotics. Here at Miami Plastic Surgery, we provide one of the best treatment options for minimizing signs and symptoms of rosacea and redness—laser therapy.
What Is Laser Therapy?
Laser therapy is a non-invasive treatment option that uses light to treat a variety of conditions, including those of the skin. When treating conditions of the skin, laser therapy is precise and allows your doctor to treat specific areas of skin while leaving surrounding skin and tissue virtually unharmed.
What Does Rosacea Treatment with Laser Therapy Involve?
- Treatment with laser therapy is performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office as an outpatient procedure and involves your doctor using laser technology on affected areas to help diminish the appearance of redness and other symptoms.
- To begin you will take a comfortable position, usually lying down on your back. Safety goggles will be placed over your eyes to provide protection.
- Once you are comfortable and relaxed, your doctor will carefully move a handheld laser over affected areas. Treatment is virtually painless, and anesthetics are typically not needed.
- Treatment time takes 15–20 minutes.
- Post-procedure, there may be slight swelling and redness of treated areas. This will go away within a few hours after the procedure.
- Rosacea laser therapy involves minimal downtime, and you will be able to return to your normal daily activities within the same day.
- To see visible results, additional treatment sessions may be needed.
Am I an Appropriate Candidate for Laser Treatment Therapy?
You may be an appropriate candidate for laser therapy treatment if:
- You have rosacea or redness of the skin
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have realistic expectations
What Can I Expect during a Laser Therapy Consultation?
During your initial laser therapy consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and their team. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and what will help to achieve your desired results. Treatment cost, benefits, recovery time, risks, and limitations will also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review treatment scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
What Are the Benefits of Laser Therapy for Treating Rosacea?
Whether you have mild, moderate, or severe rosacea that is impacting your quality of life, laser therapy can provide many treatment benefits including:
- Improved appearance of skin
- Enhanced self-confidence
- Minimal downtime
If you are considering laser therapy for rosacea in Miami, FL with the board-certified plastic surgeons at Miami Plastic Surgery®, call 305.595.2969 or fill out the form on this page to book a consultation.