CAUSES & SYMPTOMS OF PIGMENTATION & DISCOLORATION
What Is Skin Pigmentation And Discoloration?
The color or pigmentation of skin is based on the levels of melanin produced in the skin. People with light skin produce low levels of melanin, and people with dark skin produce higher levels of melanin. Often, melanin is spread equally across the skin. However, sometimes, certain areas of the skin contain more or less melanin than surrounding areas of skin. This creates a discoloration of the affected skin, which show on the skin as patches or spots that are lighter or darker than surrounding regions. Skin pigmentation and discoloration can affect any area of the body, including the face, arms, and legs. Examples of skin pigmentation and skin discoloration include birthmarks, freckles, age spots, and more.
What Causes Skin Pigmentation And Discoloration?
Generally, skin pigmentation and skin discoloration are caused by overproduction, underproduction, or uneven distribution of melanin in the body. Causes of skin discoloration may include:
- Sun exposure
- Hormonal changes
- Certain medications
- Immune system deficiencies
- Certain diseases or medical conditions
What Are The Symptoms Of Skin Pigmentation And Discoloration?
Generally, symptoms of skin pigmentation and discoloration include a difference in skin complexion from one area of skin to another. Some skin pigmentation disorders, such as albinism, may affect the entire body. Signs of skin pigmentation and discoloration can affect any area of the body, including the face, arms, legs, and other areas. Depending on the type of skin pigmentation, the color of the affected area can range from white to pink, blue, brown, black, and everything in between. The size and shape of discoloration may also vary.
How Is Skin Pigmentation And Discoloration Treated?
While there are an array of treatment options available to help treat skin pigmentations, at Miami Plastic Surgery®, we specialize in the utilization of advanced laser technology to help provide removal and reduced appearance of skin pigmentations and discoloration.
What Is Laser Therapy?
Laser therapy is a non-invasive treatment option that uses light to treat a variety of conditions, including those of the skin. When treating conditions of the skin, laser therapy is precise and allows your doctor to treat specific areas of skin while leaving surrounding skin and tissue virtually unharmed.
What Does Treatment With Laser Therapy Involve?
- Treatment with laser therapy is performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office as an outpatient procedure and involves your doctor using laser technology on affected areas to help diminish the appearance of skin pigmentation and discoloration.
- To begin, you will take a comfortable position, either seated or lying down. Safety goggles will be placed over your eyes to provide protection.
- Once you are comfortable and relaxed, your doctor will carefully move a handheld laser over affected areas. Treatment is virtually painless, and anesthetics are typically not needed.
- Depending on areas treated, treatment time will vary.
- Post-procedure, there may be slight swelling and redness of treated areas. This will go away within a few hours after the procedure.
- Skin pigmentation and discoloration laser therapy involves minimal downtime, and you will be able to return to your normal daily activities within the same day.
- To see visible results, additional treatment sessions may be needed.
Am I An Appropriate Candidate For Laser Treatment Therapy?
You may be an appropriate candidate for laser therapy treatment if:
- You have skin pigmentation or discoloration
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have realistic expectations
What Can I Expect During A Laser Therapy Consultation?
During your initial laser therapy consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and their team. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and what will help to achieve your desired results. Treatment cost, benefits, recovery time, risks, and limitations will also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review treatment scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery® and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
What Are The Benefits Of Using Laser Therapy For Treating Skin Pigmentation And Discoloration?
If you have skin pigmentation and discoloration, laser therapy may be an appropriate treatment option for you. Benefits of laser therapy for skin pigmentation and discoloration may include:
- Improved appearance of skin
- Even skin complexion
- Enhanced self-confidence
- Minimal downtime
If you are considering laser therapy for skin pigmentation and discoloration in Miami, FL with the board-certified plastic surgeons at Miami Plastic Surgery®, call 305.595.2969 or fill out the form on this page to book a consultation.