Lymphatic Drain Massage Treatment in Miami, South Miami & Coral Gables, FL
What Is a Lymphatic Drainage Massage?
Lymphatic drainage massage, also known as manual lymph drainage, is a therapeutic treatment that uses massage therapy to help stimulate the lymphatic system and rid your body of toxins. Use of the technique originally began in Germany to help treat lymphedema, a condition that causes swelling of the arms, legs, or other areas. The condition is usually the result of the lymph nodes being damaged or removed, which causes excess fluid called lymph to accumulate in tissues.
Today, lymphatic drainage massage therapy is used to help stimulate the lymphatic system, providing an array of amazing health benefits. During lymphatic drainage massage therapy, your doctor or massage therapist will use light downward or upward strokes to gently push the excess lymphatic fluid through appropriate channels and clear the affected lymph nodes.
Why Is Lymphatic Drainage Massage Therapy Used?
Within the lymphatic system, a fluid known as lymph carries oxygen and nutrients to cells while gathering and removing toxins through lymph nodes. This makes the lymphatic system a vital part of your immune system. However, unlike blood which is pumped through the body by the heart, lymphatic fluid relies on pressure from surrounding blood vessels and muscles to stimulate flow. Lymphatic drainage massage therapy is used to help encourage movement and drainage of lymphatic fluid. This manual lymph drainage process can be used to help:
- Reduce swelling in certain areas of the body, including the face, arms, and legs
- Improve the appearance and health of your skin
- Stimulate healing processes
- Improve blood flow and circulation
- Detoxify the body
- Provide pain or stress relief
What Does Lymphatic Drainage Massage Therapy Involve?
- Lymphatic drainage massage therapy is performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office and involves your doctor gently pushing excess fluid from tissue.
- This procedure is painless and will not require the use of any anesthetics.
- To begin you will take a comfortable resting position, usually lying on your back.
- Once you are comfortable and relaxed, your doctor can begin the manual lymph drain process, which usually begins with treatment of unaffected areas.
- After treatment of the unaffected areas, your doctor will begin to gently stimulate affected areas of the body with slow, light downward or upward strokes in the direction of the natural flow of the lymphatic system. This method allows a clear pathway for excess fluid to move through. Your doctor may also rub, tap, or push affected areas.
- Depending on your treatment needs, treatment time will vary.
- Once the massage is complete, you will be able to return to your normal daily activities. Your doctor may recommend certain at-home massage techniques to help further stimulate the flow of lymphatic fluid through the body.
Am I an Appropriate Candidate for Lymphatic Drainage Massage Therapy?
You may be an appropriate candidate for lymphatic drainage if:
- You have swelling in areas of the face, arms, legs, or other areas
- You have been diagnosed with lymphedema
- You have realistic expectations
What Can I Expect during a Lymphatic Drainage Massage Therapy Consultation?
During your initial lymphatic drainage massage therapy consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and their team. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and what will help to achieve your desired results. Lymphatic drainage massage cost, benefits, recovery time, risks, and limitations will also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review treatment scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
What Are the Benefits of a Lymphatic Drain Massage?
If you are suffering from lymphedema or are looking for ways to enhance your overall health, a lymph drainage massage may provide the following benefits:
- Reduced swelling of the skin
- Improved appearance of skin
- Improved blood circulation
- Improved flow of lymph through the lymphatic system
- Removal of toxins and excess waste in the body