BEST DOCTORS FOR ARM LIFTS IN MIAMI
What Is An Arm Lift?
Arm lift surgery, also known as brachioplasty, is a cosmetic procedure that is used to help tighten, lift, and smooth out sagging skin beneath the upper arm due to aging or weight loss. The type of arm lift procedure that your doctor recommends will depend on the severity of hanging skin. For patients with minimal excess skin, “mini arm lift surgery” may be recommended. A mini arm lift requires only a small incision made in the underarm, allowing for arm lift surgery without large scars. Patients with greater levels of skin sagging may require an incision that extends from the elbow to the underarm. Other options may include the “invisible arm lift surgery,” which like a mini arm lift, only requires a small incision made in the underarm.
Why Is Arm Lift Surgery Used?
At Miami Plastic Surgery®, we use arm lift surgery to help tighten muscle and loose skin of the upper arm after treatment without surgery (e.g., diet and exercise) has failed to improve or restore skin elasticity and muscle tone.
What Does An Arm Lift Procedure Involve?
- The arm lift procedure is performed in the comfort of your doctor’s office as an outpatient procedure and involves your doctor removing unwanted areas of loose, hanging skin.
- The procedure is typically performed under local anesthesia or other sedation methods. Once you are comfortable and relaxed, the procedure can begin.
- Your surgeon will carefully make an incision into the arm. Depending on your treatment needs, the size and placement of the incision may vary. Some incisions may be as small as two inches, while other incisions may extend from your elbow to your armpit.
- After incisions are made, the excess skin is removed. If there is any excess fat, it may be removed by your doctor through careful excision or liposuction.
- For the final steps of the arm lift procedure, stitches are used to gently tighten and shape muscle beneath the affected skin. When your doctor is satisfied with the new form, the skin can be softly sculpted over the muscle.
- Upon completion of the procedure, your doctor will close up any incisions with stitches. If your stitches are non-absorbable, you will need to return one to two weeks after the procedure so that your surgeon may remove them.
- While there may be some post-surgery swelling and bruising, results are typically visible immediately after the procedure is complete.
- To help minimize swelling and bruising, you may need to wrap your arm in compression bandages.
Am I An Appropriate Candidate For An Arm Lift?
You may be an appropriate candidate for arm lift surgery if:
- You have loose, sagging skin located at the underside of your upper arm
- You have unwanted fat that hangs from beneath your upper arm
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have realistic expectations
What Can I Expect During An Arm Lift Consultation?
During your initial arm lift consultation, you will meet with the plastic surgeon and their team. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Your surgeon will determine what you benefit from most and what will help to achieve your desired results. Arm lift cost, benefits, recovery time, risks, and limitations will also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review treatment scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery® and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
What Are The Benefits Of An Arm Lift?
If you have loose or sagging upper arm skin that is causing you discomfort or embarrassment, an arm lift may offer the following benefits:
- Tightened upper arm skin
- Enhanced definition of the upper arm
- Improved overall aesthetics of the body
- Increased self-confidence