Facelift Procedures in Miami
What is a Facelift?
A facelift, also known as a rhytidectomy, is a cosmetic procedure used to reduce signs of aging on your face by tightening the facial skin and deeper tissues. Facelift options include surgical treatment methods, as well as methods without surgery, such as the thread facelift. At Miami Plastic Surgery®, we specialize in the use of advanced surgical techniques to perform facelift procedures that leave your skin appearing healthier and more youthful.
What Does Facelift Surgery Involve?
- Anesthesia is required for facelift surgery. Your surgeon will determine the type of anesthesia administered.
- Incisions are placed along the hairline. Your surgeon will explain exact placement of the incisions.
- The loose skin is raised and underlying tissues are tightened.
- Some fat may be suctioned.
- Excess skin is removed.
- Remaining skin is pulled and tightened.
Who are the Ideal Candidates for a Facelift?
You may be an appropriate candidate for facelift surgery if:
- You have deep lines and wrinkles in the face and neck
- You have loose, sagging skin in the cheeks and jawline
- You have deep folds in the creases between your nose and mouth
- You are in good physical and emotional health
- You have realistic expectations
Facelift Before & After Photos:
What is the facelift recovery process like?
Facelift recovery largely takes place within a two-week period. After that time, patients can gradually return to their normal activities. During recovery, patients should be prepared for the following:
- Swelling. Every surgery results in some degree of swelling. This side effect can make facial features appear distorted. We often see an initial worsening of swelling the day after surgery and gradual improvement after that time. To minimize this side effect, patients may sleep in a reclined position rather than lying down. Staying comfortably upright as much as possible is ideal.
- Discomfort. Facelift recovery isn’t necessarily painful. However, patients may feel a deep bruising-type sensation that results from swelling. Prescription painkillers should be taken as directed for a day or two. When comfort improves, patients may switch to Extra Strength Tylenol. This medication should also be taken as directed to maintain consistent comfort control.
- Constipation. Prescription pain medications are known to cause constipation. Patients must not strain when using the bathroom. To prevent this, they may take a laxative alongside prescription painkillers.
- Quietness. For the first 12 to 24 hours after facelift surgery, it is ideal to remain in bed as much as possible. After that time, patients may sit upright and walk to the bathroom or around the room to facilitate circulation. However, it is necessary to stay quiet during the first few days of recovery. Avoid talking and visiting too much. These activities may resume within a few days.
- Numbness. The facelift alters deep muscle and fat and may temporarily sever some surface nerves. Numbness, weakness, hypersensitivity, and tingling are all perfectly normal, albeit unusual sensations that may occur when nerves are regaining feeling.
- General weakness. It is normal for a patient to feel dizzy, weak, and generally out of sorts after surgery. There may be instances of breaking out in a cold sweat or having heart palpitations, both of which should clear up in a few days.
- Tightness. Until the facial muscles and skin relax, the face may feel tight. This side effect typically resolves in a matter of weeks.
- Depression. Regardless of how much a patient has looked forward to surgery, there is a chance they may encounter mild, temporary depression during recovery. Side effects like swelling and bruising can look alarming even when the plastic surgeon has prepared the patient for them. Understanding that it’s normal to get the blues after surgery and that these emotions will pass can help. It is also helpful to have various forms of entertainment as a pleasant distraction from surgical side effects.
Every patient recovers from their facelift in their own unique way. Factors that can affect facelift recovery time include:
- The extent of your facelift
- Your overall health
- Age (younger skin has more elasticity and tends to heal faster on average)
- The techniques used during your facelift
- How well you stick to the post-op recovery suggestions
How long does it take for a facelift to settle?
The majority of healing and recovery occur during the first four weeks after a facelift. After about one month, patients typically resume most of their normal activities, including moderate exercise. Still, it is important to continue paying attention to physical and emotional cues that additional rest is needed. Certain areas of the face may remain slightly bruised or swollen, but this is usually minimal and concealable with makeup. A sensation of tightness may persist for 6 to 8 weeks. After approximately 2 months, the side effects of surgery should be nearly resolved and we expect the patient to be enjoying their refreshed, youthful look.
What Can I Expect During a Miami Plastic Surgery® Facelift Consultation?
During your initial rhytidectomy consultation at Miami Plastic Surgery®, you will meet with one of our Miami plastic surgeons. Your previous surgeries, your medical history, medications you are presently taking, and your overall physical and emotional health will be reviewed. Your skin quality will also be evaluated. Photographs of your face may be taken for your medical record.
Our surgeons will determine what you may benefit from most and whether additional procedures will be necessary for you to achieve your desired results. Recovery time, costs, risks, and limitations associated with surgery will also be discussed. The doctor’s patient coordinator will review treatment scheduling with you.
Patient Financing options are available at Miami Plastic Surgery® and can be discussed in more detail during your consultation.
Will there be any additional scarring?
Our experienced plastic surgeons are experts and placing facelift incisions in discreet locations. The majority of facelift scars are placed well and do not pose a significant concern. Still, patients are encouraged to carefully follow post-operative instructions to help scars heal as quickly and efficiently as possible.
General guidelines for optimal scar healing include:
- Keep the incisions clean and dry
- Stay hydrated and eat enough protein
- Use all ointments recommended by the surgeon
- Take multivitamins
- Protect the incisions/scars from direct sunlight
- “Doctor Wolf is definitely the most amazing, loving, and competent Plastic surgeon in Florida. He transforms lives with his hands! His amazing team in the OR makes patients feel comfortable and secure at the time of surgery, and very well organized! Coordination of surgery is easy and very well explained. Follow-up appointments are easy to schedule! Totally worth it!” – K.D.
- ” Dr. Polo and staff are wonderful. Whether it is a simple procedure or more invasive, Dr. Pollo makes you feel very confident that you will look your best. His staff is very helpful with questions you may have. I highly recommend scheduling with him and his office. You will be very pleased.” – M.V.
- “From the first phone call, through scheduling, surgery, post-op and beyond the staff have been amazing. I could not be more pleased with the entire experience and results. I highly recommend their practice” – M.T.
Can a facelift be combined with other cosmetic procedures?
Yes. Facelift surgery can be combined with ancillary surgical or nonsurgical treatments to address multiple signs of aging. After a facelift, many patients schedule treatments that target issues such as sun damage and fine lines and wrinkles. Our doctors spend time listening to patients’ concerns. We develop the ideal treatment plan for each so that the signs of aging are adequately corrected.
Will a facelift help the lines around my eyes and forehead?
Facelift surgery is performed to improve the shape of the lower face, from the cheeks to the jawline. Some patients with slight submental fullness or loose skin on the upper neck may notice an improvement in these conditions, as well. While we can customize a facelift to address a variety of concerns, this procedure does not extend to the eyes or forehead region. In the upper area of the face, adults may develop concerns about hooded, heavy eyelids, horizontal or vertical lines, puffiness, and more. These issues can be difficult to ignore. Fortunately, they are not difficult to correct. At the time of a facelift consultation, a patient can discuss other procedures, surgical and nonsurgical, to rejuvenate the forehead and eyes, as well.
What are the risks of facelift surgery?
When performed by a board-certified plastic surgeon, facelift surgery is considered very safe. That said, no surgery is completely without risk. According to the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, the risks of facelift surgery, though rare, include:
- Anesthesia risks
- Prolonged swelling
- Poor wound healing and skin loss
- Skin irregularities and discoloration
- Unfavorable scarring
- Fluid accumulation
- Deep vein thrombosis, cardiac and pulmonary complications
- Facial nerve injury with weakness
- Temporary or permanent hair loss at the incisions
- Persistent pain
- Numbness or other changes in skin sensation
- Spontaneous surfacing of sutures through the skin
- Unsatisfactory aesthetic outcome such as asymmetry
An experienced plastic surgeon employs protocols that minimize surgical risks. Patients can also manage their risks by following their post-surgical care instructions well.
Why Choose a Cosmetic Facelift With Miami Plastic Surgery®?
Our Miami Plastic Surgery® surgeons are highly experienced in their field of work. The instant you enter our practice, you can rest assured that you will be in good hands throughout your facelift journey with us.
- “Beware of the plastic surgeon who’s always selling you some new technique or device” – By Dr. Carlos Wolf
- “Dr. Carlos Wolf: Are you ever too old for plastic surgery?” By Dr. Carlos Wolf
- “Dr. Wolf: Nadie quiere parecerse a Droopy” – By Dr. Carlos Wolf